Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Insect Problems, Natural solution

This year we had a flea problem with our animals and our home. I try to live as chemical free as I can so when it seemed like our only option for getting rid of them (and the eggs) was to use the chemical spray in our home, I decided to call a few Naturopaths and did my own research on the web. Through this I found a solution called 'DE' (Diatomaceous Earth, pronounced 'Dy-a-tom-A-shis'). It is in a powder form and you can rub it all over your pet, give it to them with their food and/or spread it throughout your home for a couple of days, then vacuum it up. It dehydrates eggs and insects and ultimately kills them. It is completely safe for people and animals. The only precaution you should take, is to try not to inhale too much of it as it is a fine texture (as nothing this fine should be inhaled in large amounts). I put it on my pets outside and mixed a small amount in with their food.

Finally I found a chemical free method of ridding fleas! Then, I tried to find it which was a really tough task in my community. I even went to a local health store to see if they could order it in but they weren't able to find it for me. Finally one of the Naturopaths called me back and recommended a health pet store that was about an hour away. So, I packed up my family, got in the car and made a day of it! It was well worth the trip. We found what we were looking for and learned so much.

There are some online, natural pet stores that offer this product for fleas. Just make sure it is the food grade (as it is the safest form). You can purchase it from the store I went to by contacting Mike at 'Healthy Paws' . The DE works for any insects so if you have any bug problems, you can take care of it naturally. Goodbye nasty pesticides!

Healthy Paws (Sarnia, ON)
795 Exmouth Street
www.healthypaws.on.ca
1.877.344.3443
info@healthypaws.on.ca
--