Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Trash that plastic vinyl shower curtain!

Why? Well first of all they are made of PVC plastic (#3 plastic). You know, the kind of plastic that is dangerous to human health and the environment throughout its entire life cycle, at the factory, in our homes, and in the trash! And like all 'bad plastics', when heat is exposed to it even more dangerous chemicals - somewhere around 100 different types including Phthalates - are released into the air in which we breathe. So, when you have a hot shower you are filling your lungs with nasty chemicals!

A few years ago I hated cleaning the shower curtains. So, when it would get a build up on it, I would simply replace it with a new vinyl curtain. It was one of the 'bad' things I did. I knew it wasn't the best thing for our environment but noone is perfect (I have since switched to a new way of thinking and feel insanely guilty if I toss even one bottle in the garbage.). However, I had no idea how bad it was & that I would be hurting myself and my (asthmatic) lungs!

So, what do I do now? I simply use a fabric curtain. You can use a fabric curtain made of cotton and/or hemp. They work just as well and 'hang' to dry so there's no worries. When you feel they need to be cleaned, simply toss them in the wash and hang them back up to dry! There are no toxins to worry about so your air is clear, they keep landfills free of more plastic (and are biodegradable!) and last much longer which allows you to save money. I'll never buy a plastic curtain again. What about you?

--
Sources:
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_23739.aspx
http://www.besafenet.com/pvc/