Thursday, September 11, 2008

What's in your skin care products? You should know.

For too long we have trusted the big companies (and our government) with the fact that the products that are on the shelves are 'safe'. It's only once you starting researching and educating yourselves on the products your family consumes that you realize that many of these items are not safe.

For example, I spoke briefly before in one of my posts about parabens (may be called methylparaben, propylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben or M&P paraben). What I didn't say was why you should avoid this ingredient. After researching it I found out some pretty bad stuff. It is actually a chemical preservative used mainly in skin care products including deodorant, shampoo, lotion , make-up & even whitening toothpaste. Parabens are known to mimic the hormone estrogen and many feel that exposure to this chemical can potentially lead to breast cancer. This toxin has even been found in breast cancer tumours!

After learning all this (from trusted sources) I officially banned this toxin from my home. So when I went to one of the big retailers to buy some shampoo & conditioner, my plan was to ensure that there was no sign of 'parabens' in the ingredient list. I spent almost an hour going through every brand I could find on the enormous space dedicated to these products to see if I could find both a shampoo and a conditioner that was paraben-free. The result? I found only a few products that did not contain this toxin. And being the avid researcher I am, I discovered that all of the products that didn't contain a paraben all contained another harmful ingredient called 'methylchloroisothiazolinone'. I have no idea how to pronounce it but it is another chemical preservative that has some nasty effects on our health.

Now normally I don't have this much trouble in a store. Most of the big retailers are acknowledging our demand for more natural alternatives to conventional products so they will offer at least 1 or 2 brands that take more of a natural approach. However buyer beware - just because the packaging beams 'natural' doesn't mean it is. Always check your ingredients. And start slow. Avoid parabens in any new products you buy. Don't overwhelm yourself with learning everything at once. A good rule to follow is any ingredient that contains so many letters you find it hard to pronounce, chances are it's not good. An even simpler approach? Go to a natural and/or health store and shop there. Supporting local, independent businesses in your community is always a good thing. You will also find that they are quite passionate about their products and can educate you on the knowledge they've gained.